ATEG Archives

June 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:06:22 -0400
Ana,

The questions differ pragmatically.  "Whose wallet is this" presupposes that we all know it's a wallet but the speaker doesn't know the owner.  The typical response would be "It's mine" or "Mine."  "Whose is this" would elicit similar responses.  Specifying the wallet in the first variant is a way of foregrounding wallet perhaps so that the question gets more attention.  "Whose is this wallet" would also likely get the same sort of response, but it makes "wallet" new information.  A speaker might do this if it's not obvious that the object is a wallet.

It's always possible to provide a variety of contextual rationales for variations like these, beyond the obvious ones I've suggested, but the point is that the differences are dependent on discourse context, that is, on what the speaker knows and assumes that the hearers know.

Herb