ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2009 08:55:05 -0400
Susan,
   I work with Educational Opportunity Program students in their first
years of college. Many test below high school level on our standardized
tests. (Many test well above it.) I have worked with struggling writers
my whole professional life.
   Most of your sentences below start with "I" or "you". The only
variation is for "others on the list" in sentence three and "teaching
struggling writers to vary their sentence starts" in sentence four and
"we" (you and your students) in the final clause.
   If student essays are robotic, it is probably a matter of content more
than "style." If the content is strong, then get the form to fit the
content. If the content is weak, varying sentence starts won't save it.

Craig
Craig,