ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:42:40 -0500
Scott,

    Structurally, it has more in common with a noun clause than it does
with an adverb clause or relative clause. The "that" is not acting
like a relative pronoun; I know Herb will say that's true in relative
clauses as well, but here there's not even a possibility of that. The
"that" just marks the clause as a complement. My solution would be to
call it a complement rather than a modifier.
   Here are a few somewhat parallel sentences that show these clauses in
noun clause slots and then adjective complement slots.
    I hope that you will be here. I'm hopeful that you will be here.
    I fear that you will be hear. I am afraid that you will be here.
This means that some clauses often thought of as relative might be better
thought of as appositional.  (My fear that you will be here.)>
   Note that infinitives often act as complements in the same slot. "I am
happy to be here. I'm sad to see you go."
   That's how I would explain it to you; I'm not sure how carefully to
make that distinction for students. If your students know the
difference between a complement and a modifier, it wouldn't be hard. If
that distinction is worth making, it's worth expanding out. Otherwise,
you may be risking confusion.

Craig

Quirk et al call it a that-clause modifying an adjective.  I always have