ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2008 21:28:50 -0500
Gregg,

As to the history of these "have to" constructions, Karl has handled that well.  The three books you list are all worthwhile reads.  I'd probably start with the first Goldberg book.  The Levin/Hovav book is an excellent review of the state of semantic and syntactic research on argument structure, that is, on explanations for how particular roles associate with specific verbs or classes of verbs.  From a pedagogical perspective, I'd still recommend Levin (1993) as a useful reference work as well as general survey of verb constructions.  The other books you list will be of interest if you'd like to pursue the linguistic issues involved.  I find that a very interesting area of research, but it's not one that has a lot of bearing on the teaching of grammar in K-12 or even to undergraduate English and Language Arts majors.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University