ATEG Archives

January 2012

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2012 08:16:17 -0800
Scott,

If you look at the content of the messages, as opposed to the title,
you'll see that the discussion is entirely about 'they' as a 3rd person
singular pronoun, usage that is very old albeit controversial. If there
are any instances of 'they' as a real 1st person substitute, I'd be very
curious to see them. I think the title was a mistake. It would be an
interesting twist on illeism, and depending on the context, perhaps not
illiterate at all. (In other words, I wouldn't pre-judge that point
without examples and context.)

Karl