ATEG Archives

November 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 08:37:54 -0500
Bob,
   Of course, you don't have the benefit of context, which would, I think,
bring us closer. A sentence is not intended to be a discreet thought.
The gist of the article, as I remember it (it's at work) is that
teachers usually give one side with more passion and eloquence.
Students aren't led to engage texts on their own if they feel a
"correct" answer is already established.
   One problem with nominalized structures is that the actors are often
obscured. There's no way of telling from "oral discussion" or "written
translation" who is doing what. The critical thinking of the student is
being "unwittingly limited" (notice the passive), but we are not overly
clear of the agency fot it. I simply tried to solve those problems. As
I said in the post, that may not fit the writer's intentions. I would
never take over a student's writing in that way. I would ask for
clarification.
   I'll send you more info on the article when I get to work (between a
long line of student conferences.)
   I don't think it's a lack of reading ability on your part; the text can
be interpreted in too many ways to be clear.
   If you believe that all writing in the disciplines is highly
functional, then we may have no way to find common ground. Perhaps
others on the list could join that line of talk. Much of what passes
for academic discourse could be much clearer, much more accessible.
   I have friends who make good money tech writing, and they tell me the
same thing. They are paid to make technical texts readable, largely
because the technical experts can't do it.
   I think we can look closely at the grammar of these texts and
understand the meaning (reading) problems they create. We can try to
understand what happens when this kind of writing goes wrong.
   Writing is not just a written down form of speech. It brings into play
grammatical structures that aren't at all common in speech. We mature
as language users when we learn to function in those worlds.

Craig

Craig,