ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:44:46 -0400
Dear All:

For what it's worth, I think there *is* a place for the "block posting"
option, but it's reserved for people who make statements that are
"actionable" in the broad legal sense -- e.g., threats, use of invective
that anyone would acknowledge as bigoted, etc., rather than posts that
simply have a high annoyance value. Like many, I just use the delete
strategy for the latter category.

I have to admit that at some level, when I have a problem with annoyance
posts it's because I read them. I *know* I don't have to read them, and
so if I find them tiresome, I have only myself to blame, really. I want
to blame the poster, because that's so much easier than acknowledging my
own compulsive reading habits, but that's a bit unfair. I also know that
my own posts tend to wander off into self-absorbed linguistic
navel-gazing, and that some readers would find that legitimately
annoying -- and I'd feel rather put out if they kvetched at me about it
instead of simply tossing the post in the junk folder. So...I can't get
on Brad's case too strongly here (and besides, how many of us have, at
some point, lamented the fact that most of our students think grammar is
meaningless? Brad is at the other end of the spectrum).

As a last point: I agree that posting someone's personal info as part of
this kind of exchange is akin to violating the Geneva Conventions of
internet groups -- and it verges on an ad hominem attack in this
instance. After all, what matters about someone's views on grammar is
the position's logic and internal consistency, not the person's age or
background. After all, neither Plato nor Aristotle had degrees in
linguistics, and their work has had some influence <cough> on modern
linguistics. If Brad carefully dissected Jespersen's position in a
logical way and offered intriguing refutations, it would be relevant
regardless of anything else. I'm not holding my breath on that, but
still....

Sincerely,

Bill Spruiell