ATEG Archives

May 2008

From:
Natalie Gerber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 14:01:59 -0400
Just to second Kathleen's note. What I've read on morphology does consider functional shift to be a morphological change and records this by calling such changes as zero affix, which accounts for the fact that, e.g., in irregular noun plurals there is no -s, or derivational affix attached.

John, if it's of interest, I can send a short lesson on morphology created by a Ph.D. in linguistics that will help address this.

Natalie Gerber
SUNY Fredonia