ATEG Archives

November 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:36:03 -0500
Elizabeth,

I agree that the Myers-Briggs is a much more nuanced and subtle typology, and much better tested.

There is one excellent college-level text that I know of that takes diagramming seriously, Mark Lester's Grammar in the Classroom.  It also has some of the linguistically most well founded grammatical analyses.  His treatment of phrasal verbs is the best I've read in any grammar text, and his handling of tense, aspect, and modality is also very strong.

Herb

Gordon,

I'm not ready to suggest anything yet.  I was hoping to get others' ideas.  As I mentioned, I've observed that a lot of English faculty don't teach, and don't seem to like to teach, grammar.  I think that's because of their personality types or learning styles.  Most of the other English faculty I know seem to be what some people classify as right brained.  (I personally prefer the Myers Briggs typology, in which they would probably be Ps, Perceivers, rather than Js, Judgers, and maybe Fs, Feelers, rather than Ts, Thinkers.  I'm an INTJ.)

I think the traditional, sequential approach to teaching grammar, the way I learned it--which is similar to how math is taught--works for some students, but it doesn't work for a lot of English professors or language arts teachers.  I believe
  1.  Grammar has to be taught in the public schools, starting at an early age.
  2.  It has to be taught in a manner that the students will be able to learn it, which may not be the same way the teacher would.
I don't think alternate sequence would be feasible, unless through individual computer-based instruction.  I do think that diagramming sentences needs to be reintroduced for visual learners.  (I'm assuming it's not taught much because I haven't found a textbook for college-level developmental English classes that includes it.)

I'm afraid that doesn't really answer your question.

Elizabeth