ATEG Archives

February 2004

From:
Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:53:47 -0500
Brock, a Temple Univ linguist published research on this topic about a
year ago, causing heated discussions among my grammar students.  Here's
one of the references to her research:

http://blogs.salon.com/0001381/stories/2002/11/05/theSemanticsOfilikei.html

Beth Young

Dr. Beth Rapp Young
Director, University Writing Center
Associate Professor, English

University of Central Florida
From Promise to Prominence: Celebrating 40 Years.

Email: [log in to unmask]
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~byoung

P.O. Box 161347
University of Central Florida
Orlando 32816-1347

Office: 407-823-2853
Fax: 407-823-3007

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/13/04 02:06PM >>>
Bill, I enjoyed this article, and my (community college) students will
also.  I was interested in the mention of the  linguists' argument that
"like" and other filler words confer some advantages: they gain the
speaker a moment to gather thoughts, they seem to encourage more complex
sentences, and they discourage listeners from interrupting.  About the
last two points, the article refers to "studies," and if anyone knows of
such research, I would be interested (I can be reached off-list at

Brock