ATEG Archives

August 2011

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2011 17:34:08 -0400
Yeah, so do I, but you don't get alotta parsnips till after a good freeze.

Herb

From: "Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:         Fri, 12 Aug 2011 18:45:24
To: <[log in to unmask]>

Craig,

"Alot" just for the adverbial use ("I do that alot"), or also for the pseudo-determiner/quantity use? If the latter, it's hard to see why the "of" shouldn't be glommed in to yield "alotta." It's not like that's going to freak out people more than plain "alot" will.

[Just for the record -- I like having both "all right" and "alright" available, since I think the distinction is useful; I can't see that kind of utility for "alot," but I also know that conscious calculations of utility have historically had about as much effect on the development of language and spelling conventions as have fluctuations in the availability of parsnips].

Bill Spruiell