ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:46:33 -0400

DD,

   A delightful post and a delightful reminder. I didn't mean to imply
that my students are incapable of reading a good handbook--we buy A
Writer's Reference for all our EOP students as I would for my own
child--but that they have been woefully underprepared. The grammar in
context people say metalanguage is not essential. Without it, our
otherwise perfectly capable (though innately energy conserving)
students can't read, weigh, follow, rebel against, or revise
traditional advice.

Craig