ATEG Archives

January 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:53:00 -0500
Herb,
   My sense is that things haven't changed very much--see, for example,
Susan Peck Macdonald's article in a recent 3 C's on the Erasure of
Language, which points to a progressive loss of knowledge about
language within the discipline, largely because of the widespread
belief that teaching grammar is harmful and/or that language is learned
without direct instruction. Depending on the kind of student (or range)
you are expected to teach, there may be a sense that "error" has to be
attended to, but there's a sense that error correction is mundane and
not at all what composition (or real writing) is all about. In many
places, saying you have a great interest in grammar may evoke the same
sort of misunderstandings you mention below--it's an old way, not a new
one, often a reductive understanding of writing and the teaching of
writing, at least in their minds. "Correcting" can replace revising and
often does.
   If someone asked me how grammar fits within composition, I would talk
about that history--how process approaches had to do war with product
and error focused approaches, but that now we need to integrate an
approach to grammar in harmony with higher order concerns, one that
pays respect to the meaningfulness of form. Effective, purposeful
writing happens in and through the sentence, and it is important for
sentence level choice to be in harmony with the evolving purposes of
the text; once we understand that, then grammar and writing are no
longer at war.    >
   Even if writing within conventions is at issue, I think knowlege about
language is important; I don't think this mastery is simply acquired.
   On either end, as questioner or as candidate, you are walking through a
minefield. It is made dangerous largely because Macdonald is right;
most people in the discipline know very little about language.

Craig

Steve,