ATEG Archives

December 2011

From:
"Dixon, Jack" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Dec 2011 05:58:41 -0600
Terre:

Thank you for your detailed response.  I do want to check out Kate Kinsella’s work in using academic vocabulary and sentence frames. (Any titles in particular where I should start?)  I am familiar with "They Say, I Say" and agree that it can be useful for helping students understand those deeper cognitive structures that academic writers use – actually used by more than just academics.

I would like a copy of your rubric if you are willing to share.  Are the two essays you use pieces that you have collected or written yourself, or are they published somewhere so that I could access them?

What I like about your strategies for teaching academic vocabulary and using sentence frames is that you are teaching students how to communicate without putting the focus on error.  So many objectives that involve developing language proficiency involve error avoidance or correction.  While correcting errors is important, teaching students how to accomplish larger rhetorical goals seems more productive to me.  In my classes over the last few years (developmental writing and freshman English at an open-admissions community college), I have worked with sentence imitation, tied with comprehension.  I take sentences with some level of structural complexity that I can be fairly sure my students will understand when we read and discuss them.  I then model imitating the structure, not the content; we do a few together; then, I have them write a few original sentences which we read around the room.  At the end of that session, the students feel they have done something important.

My underlying goal is to show them that, in fact, they know more grammar than they think they do and that we are going to build on what they know.  As we discuss how any given structure works, I begin to introduce them to the concepts of phrases, clauses, punctuation – all tied to the ways the meaning gets conveyed.

Jack

From:   "Dixon, Jack" <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]
Date:   12/21/2011 09:26 PM
Sent by:        Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar

This strategy sounds excellent.

From:   Stephen King <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]
Date:   12/20/2011 06:57 PM
Subject:        Spoken vs. formal written English
Sent by:        Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar

Can anyone direct me to a text that focuses, at length, on the differences
between spoken and written versions of language? It seems to me that a
great many of my community college students, especially those who have been
out of school for some time, use a version of English that could be
characterized as "Spoken English Written Down." (A colleague suggested the
acronym "SPEWD.") I have my own list of those differences, but am looking
for other resources. Many thanks in advance!

Steve King

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at: