ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
"Hadley, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:57:02 -0500
Ed (Vavra) is right, of course--Considering the possibilities inherent in compound-complex sentences, it would be better to say, "A sentence contains _at least_ one complete thought," as in this example:

>Having explained what a sentence was, the teacher took up the students' papers and placed them on the desk while the students were preparing their materials for their next assignment.

--several "thoughts" (actions) going on at once in such a sentence.

It has always seemed to me that the "complete thought" of that old statement was meant to suggest something more along the lines of a "grammatically correctly stated and demarcated action(s) or state(s)," which would, of course, normally include a subject and a predicate. But calling it a "complete thought" was a weak way of expressing that idea.

But I may be way off the mark. If so, you guys can correct me.

Tim

Tim Hadley
Research Assistant, The Graduate School
Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University