ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 18:51:31 -0500
>Roger Federer won the US Open, for example, in four sets.
>
>Why would we want to consider for example to be a conjunction in a sentence
>like this.   Or would we?

Not to beat a dead horse, but the important point to consider about "for
example" is not terminology but usage.  For example, I would give the above
sentence a low grade because it is not used to support an opinion, which is
how I teach the use of the transitional words "for example."  Once again,
I'm not concerned about what my students call grammatical terms but how they
use them.  In addition [WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL 'IN ADDITION'!], I would
also point out that "for example" is usually best used to introduce the
sentence - i.e., "For example, RF won the Open in four sets" would, I
think,be preferable.

Geoff Layton