ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:12:02 -0400
Bill,

I don't have a problem with calling "at 5:00" both adverbial, since it
is temporal, and a subject complement, since it adds information about a
subject just as

Craig's a grammarian.
The meeting is only for senior staff.
The meeting was too long.
etc.

I have iffy reactions to moving locative/temporal complements too.

Five hours the meeting lasted

is okay, but

Five hours were lasted by the meeting

is horrendous.

I think part of the problem with "On the table, I put a book" and "On
the table was put a book." has to do with the pragmatics.  Compare

On the table, I put a book, a writing pad, and a glass of wine; on the
floor, I put a basket of magazines.

or

On the table had been put a book, a writing pad, and a glass of wine.

both of which feel fine.

Herb

Herb and Karl,

My memories of the "The meeting is at 5:00" thread from months ago is
that the potential adjectival status of "at 5:00" had arisen (again, I
may be guilty of a highly selective memory!). One school of thought was
that time/space information like this was adverbial, while another was
that information about a noun (in this case) was adjectival, even if the
information itself had to do with time or space. Karl's call for
terminological clarity holds for those examples as well. I'm not sure I
can dodge use of "adverbial" as a label in this particular class,
though. And I'm using "adjunct" for optional, moveable elements, so
"predicate adjunct" is a problem. "At 5:00, the meeting was" is just as
poetic (or clumsy, or Yoda-ish) as "An engineer, Bjorn was." And of
course, you can't leave the predicate adjunct out -- so I have trouble
calling it an adjunct.

Prying at the "put" construction a bit more, I found myself trying to
sort out my reactions to possible permutations: "On the table, I put a
book" and "On the table was put a book." The second sounds awful, at
least to me (I did a Google search for instances of "was put"; the only
early hits with initial prepositional phrases were from linguistics
articles. They were being heavily starred as ungrammatical, or being
used as paraphrases of a construction in some African languages). It
would sound slightly better with "placed," although I'm not sure how to
interpret what that might suggest.

The "On the table, I put a book" type doesn't sound *as* off to me,
though. I'm worried I might be suffering from Linguists' Syndrome, that
disorder that causes constructions that one has been looking at too long
to seem oddly grammatical, or oddly ungrammatical (not the *other*
Linguists' Syndrome that causes one to become fascinated with odd points
of usage).

Bill Spruiell