ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:51:46 -0400
    I am curious about how traditional grammar handles "like" in a
sentence like "One of these things is not like the others." (I know;
Sesame Street).
   My instinct is to say "like the others" is prepositional phrase,
complement to "is", therefore referring back (adjectivally?) to "One of
these things." Would that be standard?
   If it can be easily replaced by "resembles" (or "doesn't resemble"),
does that mean "be like" is shading into a verb like status with "the
others" as object? Are we OK with flexible boundaries around our categories?

Craig