ATEG Archives

February 1996

From:
Michael Kischner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 13:52:23 -0800
Would people agree that this sentence is in the passive voice?

       I get paid a large sum each month.

So "get" is a permissible alternative to "be" in passive constructions?

And would people agree that in the following sentence "much" is the
object of the verb (here a retained object, if the construction is indeed
passive):

       I get paid very much for my work.

So "very" is here an adjective modifying the noun "much"?

Do other people find that their dream life tends to invade the sentences
they make up for examples?

It is really with the first two sentences that I need immediate help.
Thanks.

Michael Kischner