ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
William McCleary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 09:47:56 -0700
Tim,

Which incorrect conclusions of the Braddocks and Hillocks report are
you talking about? Their main conclusion, that teaching grammar has
no beneficial effect on composition, still seems valid to me. It is
true that the grammar being taught was usually old-fashioned, taught
in isolation from the actual practice of composition, or focused more
on usage and mechanics than basic grammar, but that was how
composition was often taught in those days.

It is their second comment, that teaching grammar may be "harmful" to
students, that receives the most complaints from proponents of
grammar. But even here the complaints are not all that justified.
What they actually said was that the time spent on grammar was taken
away from the actual practice of writing and for that reason might be
harmful to students' progress in learning composition.

As for why some college composition teachers are so opposed to
grammar in the composition classroom, you need to go back to what
used to be done in many composition classes and, indeed, in some
entire composition programs. That was the intense focus on errors in
composition and the related attempts to use the teaching of
grammar-as-syntax and grammar-as-correct-usage. We had a long battle
to get rid of that approach to composition and to focus attention on
actual writing instead. If you even suggest that you are interested
in going back to grammar, those who remember the battles are bound to
look at you with horror. You would need to explain pretty quickly
that you are not proposing to go back to the old methods but to try a
modern approach.

The same unhelpful use of "grammar" was, by the way, also the main
approach to teaching composition when I began teaching secondary
English in 1961. I did it for 3 years (if I remember correctly) until
personal observation led me to conclude that this was going nowhere.
I have never gone back. I have occasionally tried introducing some
lessons on both kinds of grammar, because it does, after all, seem
intuitively obvious that some knowledge of grammar or some lessons on
the mistakes students make would work, but I quickly rediscovered why
I had abandoned them in the first place. One often forgets that what
is intuitively obvious (the world is flat) often turns out to be
untrue. As someone pointed out earlier, you do not need to teach any
formal lessons in grammar (of either type) to teach composition
successfully.

Bill