ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:34:58 -0500
At 01:54 AM 9/20/2007, Ronald Sheen wrote:
>Given that DD is so well versed in the field in general and has
>mastered the content of both books, in particular, I, for one, and
>probably other members would appreciate it were he to provide us
>with summaries of both books with comments on comparisons between the two.

DD: I appreciate the compliment, but I think I already did my
summaries. I recommend to all interested that they first read, "The
Bell Curve," as I stated earlier, then Gould's book, and would add in
an input from Bill Spruiel, "Just tossing in a note: a brief and
journalistic, but potentially useful, account of later research and
criticism of _The Bell Curve_ can
be found at http://www.slate.com/id/2416/. "
I would suggest that following those paths, would enable scholars to
arrive at their own conclusions. I do think that, "The Bell Curve,"
is the only one in the list that is a scientific report of a study
performed. As with all such, it is the report of the methods used,
and the results garnered, that is of importance. The conclusions are
interesting, but those of the authors. Your conclusion may vary.
Gould and the Slate article are appropriate criticisms of the
original. That is the way science progresses, weaving forward,
zigging back, lunging a bit past the former positions, heading toward
a better understanding.