ATEG Archives

January 2015

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2015 18:33:30 +0000
I can follow Karl's logic, but what it seems to come down to is that it's an error because people whose use of language matters generally say it that way.  My own inclination is to think the pattern of using "those" derives from shortening a noun phrase in which "those" functions as determiner.  "By those people who do not approve of it" becomes "by those who do not approve of it." You can't use "them" as determiner (at least in standard English).  It's interesting that there are three passives in the sentence, none problematic.

Does anyone believe for a moment that someone who sees this as an error is better prepared for college than someone who doesn't? Every time I look at these tests, I wonder whether they are doing much more harm than good. Whoever designs them seems to be looking for tricky little ways to catch people. Is our primary purpose for studying language to avoid error? What exactly makes an error an error, especially if usage differs? Why don't we test knowledge about language directly? Shouldn't we, as proponents of TEACHING grammar, be arguing constantly for that? Catching people on some obscure (and questionable) error diminishes the subject.

Craig