ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 2009 11:46:41 +0100
> A British example of the dropping of adverbial -ly.

It is the general practice in England, though it would be de rigueur to draw
anyone's attention to it, for all sports commentators (except for those on
the cricket, rugby union and athletic circuits) to speak with a
working-class accent, syntax and vocabulary.  Cricket and rugby union have a
strong 'public-school' (i.e. private school) connection, even to the use of
public-schoolboy nicknames (e.g. 'Blowers' for Henry Blofeld).  For other
sports, to take snooker and soccer as examples, it would be the height of
oddity for someone to use the parlance of the upper classes.  This is the
pattern for all BBC spots programmes covering them.  One commentator, Adrian
Chiles, even speaks with an exaggeratedly working-class accent.  There are
anomalies, for the commentator (always male) will sometimes betray his
education by using vocabulary outside what would be expected, but that goes
unnoticed.  A recurring feature is the complete absence of the adverbial
-ly:  e.g. 'He played that safety shot fantastic', 'He got out of that
snooker magnificent', 'He moved neat to stop him heading the ball',  'He
does his passing marvellous'.  If it is the common speech that always wins
out in the long run, it looks as if 'ly' will disappear 'ever so quick'.

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court
Trafalgar Road
Cambridge
CB4 1DU
England

Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/elw33/
Phone [00 44] (0)1223 350256

Bill, I agree completely. My observation is quite different from yours, and