ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Connie Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 20:12:33 -0400
Welcome to the club, Jeff.  I too found that the bottom line was that the
publisher wanted to use my name.

When you wrote that exam, did you find you had all kinds of other guidelines to
adhere to?  We "authors" (I use the term advisedly!) were given a list of about
15 no-nos to keep in mind when writing grammar exercises.  I've forgotten most
of them, but basically the idea was not to offend anybody with anything (so no
mention of the Civil War, for instance).  What really got me, though, was the
prohibition against naming negative emotions.  I decided to try it anyway, and
sure enough, things like "Laura was sad" came back edited as "Laura was happy."

Connie Weaver