ATEG Archives

January 2008

From:
"Veit, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:47:11 -0500
OK, I confess it. It bothers me when I see "Open 'til nine" instead of "till nine." The following is pasted from dictionary.com.

[Origin: bef. 900; ME; OE (north) til < ON til to, akin to OE till station, G Ziel goal.]

—Usage note: Till and until are both old in the language and are interchangeable as both prepositions and conjunctions: It rained till (or until) nearly midnight. The savannah remained brown and lifeless until (or till) the rains began. Till is not a shortened form of until and is not spelled 'till. 'Til is usually considered a spelling error, though widely used in advertising: Open 'til ten.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.