ATEG Archives

February 2001

From:
Max Morenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:26:52 -0500
Bill, with a great deal of trepidation, I'll jump into your question
(prepared to jump out at any moment). At first glance, you'd want
"professionally," an adverb, not the adjective "professional" in a
slot following an intransitive verb. But I think the adjectives are
functioning as adverbs.  This gives them an interesting new meaning,
much like Apple's "Think Different." It has more resonance than Think
Differently would. After all, adjectives and manner adverbs are close
in structure and meaning. And lots of times one part of speech has
two syntactic manifestations (I'm grasping for terminology), kind of
like when verbs function as nouns (gerunds and infinitives).  Is this
syncretism?

I hope, Bill, this attends to the question you had in mind. Max

>-----------------------
>Sender:       Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar
>Poster:       "William J. McCleary" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: Query about "act professional and speak professional"
>----------
>
>While you're working on Linda's query about "now once again," please ponder
>this one. I have seen this construction several times, including in the
>play "The Miracle Worker" and wonder how the experts parse it.
>
>If you act professional and speak professional, people will respect you.
>
>Bill
>

>  >Could I have some feedback about the wording of the following sentence,
>  >especially regarding the phrase "now once again"?
>  >
>  >"In September 1991 the parish celebrated a re-dedication of the newly
>  >refurbished bell, which now once again calls the faithful to Mass and lends
>  >its voice to celebrate weddings and bid farewell at funerals."
>  >

>William J. McCleary
>3247 Bronson Hill Road
>Livonia, NY 14487
>716-346-6859
>
>To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at:
>and select "Join or leave the list"

Max Morenberg, Professor
Department of English
Miami University