ATEG Archives

November 2005

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:37:13 -0500
Bob,

I suspect where we may be disagreeing (if 'disagree' is even the right
term) is the extent to which we consider some of the linguistic choices
one makes when writing as artificial, different from the kind of thing
we do when we speak. Writing is clearly not simply transcribed speech,
but the implications of that can be rather more far-ranging than what
gets considered under headings like 'formality' or 'dialect'. Not only
does the displacement of the reader that writing implies require use of
linguistic resources in ways alien to face-to-face speech, but there are
conventions based not on the logic or pragmatics of the situation, but
rather upon the complex ways in which Western European writing styles
have developed over the centuries.

In short, I think there are linguistic practices involved in writing
that are *not* part of the instinctual linguistic endowment of any
native English-speaker. That is not to underplay what students know; it
is simply to acknowledge that writing, unlike speaking, is not a
universal activity of the human species, and that the exigencies
particular to it render it distinct from speech.

"Core" linguistics has tended to ignore the differences, partly because
of a theoretical focus on the priority of speech (for perfectly good
(and historically vital) reasons), and, I think, because academics deal
with writing so much that we don't distinguish its *architecture* from
that of speech. We home in on spelling/pronunciation discrepancies but
ignore the rest -- how often, for example, do you see syntax articles
that distinguish between sentences used as evidence that come from
spoken sources versus those that would only occur in writing? There's a
general assumption, I think, that the distinction is a non-issue.

That said, there is a long history of discounting students' grammatical
knowledge, and suspicion is warranted whenever someone starts inveighing
against their students' perceived ignorance. Being suspicious about
claims like the ones I've been making is, therefore, both reasonable and
necessary. I'd like to emphasize, however, that I'm not saying students
have no knowledge of language, but rather that a subset of that
knowledge does not always apply to writing, and that a different subset
has to be learned.

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English
Central Michigan University