ATEG Archives

September 2000

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:43:05 -0700
Bob,

I wonder if the writer of that comment was referring to a phenomenon I see
with my high school students: the past perfect is being used (at least in
writing, but I think also in some conversation) as if it were the simple
past. I know that when I see it misused that way in writing, and I seem to
be seeing it more and more lately, it "grates" on me, too.

I suppose that if the past perfect begins to be mistaken for the simple past
too often it will, in a sense, "disappear" as a separate form by getting
mixed up as something it is not.  I'm not expressing this as clearly as I
would like, but I think you might know what I mean. Has anyone else seen
this happening?

Paul E. Doniger
The Gilbert School