ATEG Archives

November 2009

From:
Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:12:16 -0500
Aha!  I googled my desktop and found notes:

Idea units, as defined by Wallace L. Chafe, are segments of discourse
that coincide with a speaker's focus of attention.  The speaker's focus
of attention is reflected in spontaneous speech, which is produced "not
in a flowing stream but in a series of brief spurts," (Chafe 13) or idea
units.  These spurts are marked by intonation (pitch either rises or
falls), by pauses, and by syntax (an idea unit is often a single
clause).

Chafe, Wallace L. “Integration and Involvement in Speaking, Writing, and
Oral Literature.” In D. Tannen (Ed.) Spoken and Written Language:
Exploring Orality and Literacy. Norwood, NJ: Ablex, 1982. 35-53.

I don't know if that's what you were thinking of, Herb, but it's what I
was thinking of, at least.  whew.

Beth

>>> "STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]> 11/17/09 8:47 PM >>>
i'm not certain, but it sounds like something Chafe would have said.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University