ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
Peter Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 09:13:51 -0400
Great responses Craig and Herb.  But a follow up question for Craig.
Martha's test for verb particles is whether they can be moved to the
front of the sentence to form a question.

"I looked up the chimney" can be transformed into "Up what did I look?"

However, "He looked up a phone number" cannot be transformed into
"*Up what did he look?"  It has to be "What did he look up?"

Craig's test is whether the word in question can be moved to the end
of the sentence.

"*I looked the chimney up" doesn't work, but "I looked the word up"
does.

So, by either test, "up" is a preposition in the chimney sentence,
but it is a particle in the phone number sentence.

Applying these tests to "I think about many things," I can say "About
what do I think?"  And I can't say, "I think many things about."  By
both tests, "about" doesn't seem to be a verb particle.

So I am wondering . . . can a phrasal verb, in Craig's sense, be
formed with a word that is not a verb particle?  If so, what is "about"?

Peter Adams