ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:33:31 -0400
Paul,
  I think it parallels "a few."  "A few friends are coming by later." "A
couple of co-workers are joining us." Putting "is" into either sentence
wouldn't feel right to me. But a couple as couple is different. "A
couple is more than just the sum of its parts." "There is a oouple on
the dance floor; another couple moves toward the bar."
   "A couple of" in "a couple of apples" means "two". The "a"
participates, but doesn't make it singular, at least as I read my own
internal grammar.

Craig

If 'couple' in "a couple of apples" is plural, how do you explain the