ATEG Archives

August 2012

From:
Scott Carledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2012 19:11:06 -0400
"Determine if this or that" gives you a choice.   "Determine whether" would
be more appropriate if one has students who are neither second-language
learners nor linguistically impaired.
Scott Catledge

Date:    Mon, 20 Aug 2012 16:26:34 +0000
From:    Ed Vavra <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Quick Common Core question

Bill,
Thanks for asking this question. In addition to looking at the CC standards=
, I've looked at those of a few states, including sample exams. I can find =
nothing that suggests specific metalinguistic knowledge. I remember seeing =
somewhere that students should be able to identify verbs, but that statemen=
t itself is vague. Identifying finite verbs in simple sentences is relative=
ly easy, but identifying verbs in their own writing is another question. I'=
m hoping that you get more responses.
Ed V.

Date:    Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:29:58 -0500
From:    Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>

--_b7dc697e-298a-419a-a6f2-7d6da7e2b70b_

Can we get an article for the ATEG Journal out of this discussion?

Geoff Layton
 > Date: Mon=2C 20 Aug 2012 16:26:34 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Quick Common Core question
> To: [log in to unmask]
>=20
> Bill=2C
> Thanks for asking this question. In addition to looking at the CC standar=
ds=2C I've looked at those of a few states=2C including sample exams. I can=
 find nothing that suggests specific metalinguistic knowledge. I remember s=
eeing somewhere that students should be able to identify verbs=2C but that =
statement itself is vague. Identifying finite verbs in simple sentences is =
relatively easy=2C but identifying verbs in their own writing is another qu=
estion. I'm hoping that you get more responses.
> Ed V.
>=20
MUOHIO.EDU] On Behalf Of Spruiell=2C William C
> Sent: Saturday=2C August 18=2C 2012 4:01 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Quick Common Core question
>=20
> Hi all --
>=20
> I'm lazily attempting to draw on ATEG's collective experience=2C largely =
because I've discovered that educational bureaucracies inevitably think of =
a different name to file something under than I do. I'm in the process of m=
aking sure the English-ed grammar sections I'm about to teach address the C=
ommon Core directly. The CC has a number of statements that are ambiguous a=
s to whether what's being asked for has to do with students simply "produci=
ng a construction"=2C or (instead) having conscious metalinguistic knowledg=
e of it. As an example=2C at one point the CC says that students at grade e=
ight should "form and use verbs in the active and passive voice" (I'd want =
"voices" there=2C but that's probably pushing things). Native English-speak=
ers without some kind of language impairment will form and use actives and =
passives=2C of course -- just record them long enough and you'll get both. =
Read one way=2C a large set of these CC objectives basically boil down to=
=2C "determine if any of your students are second language learners or have=
 language impairments"=3B read another=2C they're instead "determine if you=
r students have specific metalinguistic knowledge."
>=20
> Is there anything approaching an official statement about which one of th=
ose readings is intended? If so=2C does anyone know where it is? Apologies =
if I'm asking something that's totally obvious. The course is one I haven't=
 taught in a couple of years=2C and the switch to the CC in my state was in=
 		 	   		  =

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--_b7dc697e-298a-419a-a6f2-7d6da7e2b70b_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
Can we get an article for the ATEG Journal out of this discussion?<br><br>G=
=3B Date: Mon=2C 20 Aug 2012 16:26:34 +0000<br>&gt=3B From: [log in to unmask]<=
br>&gt=3B Subject: Re: Quick Common Core question<br>&gt=3B To: ATEG@LISTSE=
 question. In addition to looking at the CC standards=2C I've looked at tho=
se of a few states=2C including sample exams. I can find nothing that sugge=
sts specific metalinguistic knowledge. I remember seeing somewhere that stu=
dents should be able to identify verbs=2C but that statement itself is vagu=
e. Identifying finite verbs in simple sentences is relatively easy=2C but i=
dentifying verbs in their own writing is another question. I'm hoping that =
Message-----<br>&gt=3B From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [=
mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Spruiell=2C William C<br>&gt=
=3B Sent: Saturday=2C August 18=2C 2012 4:01 PM<br>&gt=3B To: ATEG@LISTSERV=
=3B Hi all --<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B I'm lazily attempting to draw on ATEG's =
collective experience=2C largely because I've discovered that educational b=
ureaucracies inevitably think of a different name to file something under t=
han I do. I'm in the process of making sure the English-ed grammar sections=
 I'm about to teach address the Common Core directly. The CC has a number o=
f statements that are ambiguous as to whether what's being asked for has to=
 do with students simply "producing a construction"=2C or (instead) having =
conscious metalinguistic knowledge of it. As an example=2C at one point the=
 CC says that students at grade eight should "form and use verbs in the act=
ive and passive voice" (I'd want "voices" there=2C but that's probably push=
ing things). Native English-speakers without some kind of language impairme=
nt will form and use actives and passives=2C of course -- just record them =
long enough and you'll get both. Read one way=2C a large set of these CC ob=
jectives basically boil down to=2C "determine if any of your students are s=
econd language learners or have language impairments"=3B read another=2C th=
ey're instead "determine if your students have specific metalinguistic know=
ledge."<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Is there anything approaching an official stat=
ement about which one of those readings is intended? If so=2C does anyone k=
now where it is? Apologies if I'm asking something that's totally obvious. =
The course is one I haven't taught in a couple of years=2C and the switch t=
o the CC in my state was in the early phases the last time around.<br>&gt=
r>&gt=3B To join or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's web=
 interface at:<br>&gt=3B      http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html=
TEG's web site at http://ateg.org/<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B To join or leave th=
is LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's web interface at:<br>&gt=3B    =
  http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html<br>&gt=3B and select "Join =
or leave the list"<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Visit ATEG's web site at http://ate=

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:43:34 +0000
From:    "Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>

Herb, Ed, and Geoffrey:

Thanks for the input =97 I was suspecting that many of the grammar-related =
standards were in roughly the same position as that of Schroedinger's cat, =
and this seems to be the case. I'd think that a journal piece would be usef=
ul, especially if it has any chance at all of spurring anyone in the CC ini=
tiative to make a statement one way or another. Of course, the indeterminac=
y itself may be some of the sugar helping the medicine go down.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

From: Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Monday, August 20, 2012 12:29 PM
To: ATEG English Grammar <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]
HIO.EDU>>

Can we get an article for the ATEG Journal out of this discussion?

Geoff Layton

> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 16:26:34 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Quick Common Core question
> To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>
> Bill,
> Thanks for asking this question. In addition to looking at the CC standar=
ds, I've looked at those of a few states, including sample exams. I can fin=
d nothing that suggests specific metalinguistic knowledge. I remember seein=
g somewhere that students should be able to identify verbs, but that statem=
ent itself is vague. Identifying finite verbs in simple sentences is relati=
vely easy, but identifying verbs in their own writing is another question. =
I'm hoping that you get more responses.
> Ed V.

MUOHIO.EDU] On Behalf Of Spruiell, William C
> Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:01 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Quick Common Core question
>
> Hi all --
>
> I'm lazily attempting to draw on ATEG's collective experience, largely be=
cause I've discovered that educational bureaucracies inevitably think of a =
different name to file something under than I do. I'm in the process of mak=
ing sure the English-ed grammar sections I'm about to teach address the Com=
mon Core directly. The CC has a number of statements that are ambiguous as =
to whether what's being asked for has to do with students simply "producing=
 a construction", or (instead) having conscious metalinguistic knowledge of=
 it. As an example, at one point the CC says that students at grade eight s=
hould "form and use verbs in the active and passive voice" (I'd want "voice=
s" there, but that's probably pushing things). Native English-speakers with=
out some kind of language impairment will form and use actives and passives=
, of course -- just record them long enough and you'll get both. Read one w=
ay, a large set of these CC objectives basically boil down to, "determine i=
f any of your students are second language learners or have language impair=
ments"; read another, they're instead "determine if your students have spec=
ific metalinguistic knowledge."

> Is there anything approaching an official statement about which one of th=
ose readings is intended? If so, does anyone know where it is? Apologies if=
 I'm asking something that's totally obvious. The course is one I haven't t=
aught in a couple of years, and the switch to the CC in my state was in the=
 early phases the last time around.

> Sincerely,
>
> Bill Spruiell
>
> To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interfac=
e at:
> http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
> and select "Join or leave the list"

> To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interfac=
e at:
> http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
> and select "Join or leave the list"

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface =
at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave=
 the list"

Date:    Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:45:18 -0400
From:    John Chorazy <[log in to unmask]>

--14dae93993cfe38dce04c7b7bfaf

A few Language Standards for 11-12 grades (with my parenthetical
annotations):

1. *Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and
usage when writing or speaking* (I'd agree there is no specific demand here
for a language set that describes the conventions, but there is broad room
for introducing it and for students to employ it in order to fulfill the
requirements of an ELA course. The Standards aren't the end or the all of
the curriculum, they're a framework for "college readiness"... though maybe
that's another discussion in itself...).

a. *Apply the understanding that usage is a matter of convention, can
change over time, and is sometimes contested* (How does one apply this
understanding without a common language set to engage in a productive
conversation? I think there's plenty of room for the classroom teacher
here, necessarily).

b.* Resolve issues of complex or contested usage, consulting references
(e.g.Merriam- Webster=92s Dictionary of English Usage, Garner=92s Modern
American Usage) as needed* (Same as above, I'd say. Complex issues demand a
complex jargon).

3. *Apply knowledge of language to understand how language functions in
different contexts, to make effective choices for meaning or style, and to
comprehend more fully when reading or listening* (This is clearly
metaknowledge, though I still agree with Ed that nothing is demanded in
specific terms.).

a. *Vary syntax for effect, consulting references (e.g., Tufte=92s Artful
Sentences) for guidance as needed; apply an understanding of syntax to the
study of complex texts when reading* (When students are asked to apply or
demonstrate knowledge, it's going to be up to the classroom teacher to
determine how that's satisfied. But the suggestion of a guiding text (Tufte
or any other) is a nod toward the need for complex and expert information
to resolve complex issues).

To go back a bit, the Standards state that 5th graders should be able to
use correlative conjunctions, explain the functions of conjunctions and
prepositions, and form and use various verb tenses; by grade 8, students
should be able to *Explain the function of verbals (gerunds, participles,
infinitives) in general and their function in particular sentences* and *Us=
knowledge of language and its conventions when writing, speaking, reading,
or listening*. None of that is done without metacognition and application
of at least a few terms regarding grammar - though I'm aware that the slant
is pitched away from using such terms because their practicality is
questioned.

I think it will be interesting to see what's on the state tests, frankly;
the Consortia who are determining the high stakes assessments for the
Standards are the ones who'll have the final interpretation. My sense is
that there won't be any questions "about" grammar in sight... but embedded
within the questions and readings will be a need for a rich understanding
of the complexities of language, especially by 11-12th grades.

Sincerely,

John

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Ed Vavra <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Bill,
> Thanks for asking this question. In addition to looking at the CC
standards, I've looked at those of a few states, including sample exams. I
can find nothing that suggests specific metalinguistic knowledge. I
remember seeing somewhere that students should be able to identify verbs,
but that statement itself is vague. Identifying finite verbs in simple
sentences is relatively easy, but identifying verbs in their own writing is
another question. I'm hoping that you get more responses.
> Ed V.

[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Spruiell, William C

--
John Chorazy
English II and III, Academic and Honors

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--14dae93993cfe38dce04c7b7bfaf

ons of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking</em> (I&=
#39;d agree there is no specific demand here for a language set that descri=
bes the conventions, but there is broad room for introducing it and for stu=
dents to employ it in order to fulfill the requirements of an ELA course. T=
he Standards aren&#39;t the end or the all of the curriculum, they&#39;re a=
 framework for &quot;college readiness&quot;... though maybe that&#39;s ano=
ther discussion in itself...).</div>
 convention, can change over time, and is sometimes contested</em> (How doe=
s one apply this understanding without a common language set to engage in a=
 productive conversation? I think there&#39;s plenty of room for the classr=
oom teacher here, necessarily).</div>
sulting references (e.g.Merriam- Webster=92s Dictionary of English Usage, G=
arner=92s Modern American Usage) as needed</em> (Same as above, I&#39;d say=
. Complex issues demand a complex jargon).</div>
guage functions in different contexts, to make effective choices for meanin=
g or style, and to comprehend more fully when reading or listening</em> (Th=
is is clearly metaknowledge, though I still agree with Ed that nothing is d=
emanded in specific terms.).</div>
g., Tufte=92s Artful Sentences) for guidance as needed; apply an understand=
ing of syntax to the study of complex texts when reading</em> (When student=
s are asked to apply or demonstrate knowledge, it&#39;s going to be up to t=
he classroom teacher to determine how that&#39;s satisfied. But the suggest=
ion of a guiding text (Tufte or any other) is a nod toward the need for com=
plex and expert information to resolve complex issues).</div>
hould be able to use correlative conjunctions, explain the functions of con=
junctions and prepositions, and form and use various verb tenses; by grade =
8, students should be able to <em>Explain the function of verbals (gerunds,=
 participles, infinitives) in general and their function in particular sent=
ences</em> and <em>Use knowledge of language and its conventions when writi=
ng, speaking, reading, or listening</em>. None of that is done without meta=
cognition and application of at least a few terms regarding grammar - thoug=
h I&#39;m aware that the slant is pitched away from using such terms becaus=
e their practicality is questioned.</div>
state tests, frankly; the Consortia who are determining the high stakes ass=
essments for the Standards are the ones who&#39;ll have the final interpret=
ation. My sense is that there won&#39;t be any questions &quot;about&quot; =
grammar in sight... but embedded within the questions and readings will be =
a need for a rich understanding of the complexities of language, especially=
 by 11-12th grades.</div>
iv>On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Ed Vavra &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:evavra@=
pct.edu">[log in to unmask]</a>&gt; wrote:</div>
on. In addition to looking at the CC standards, I&#39;ve looked at those of=
 a few states, including sample exams. I can find nothing that suggests spe=
cific metalinguistic knowledge. I remember seeing somewhere that students s=
hould be able to identify verbs, but that statement itself is vague. Identi=
fying finite verbs in simple sentences is relatively easy, but identifying =
verbs in their own writing is another question. I&#39;m hoping that you get=
 more responses.</div>
iv><div>&gt; From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:<a =
href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a>] On B=
ehalf Of Spruiell, William C</div>
f=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a></div><di=
 all --</div>
llective experience, largely because I&#39;ve discovered that educational b=
ureaucracies inevitably think of a different name to file something under t=
han I do. I&#39;m in the process of making sure the English-ed grammar sect=
ions I&#39;m about to teach address the Common Core directly. The CC has a =
number of statements that are ambiguous as to whether what&#39;s being aske=
d for has to do with students simply &quot;producing a construction&quot;, =
or (instead) having conscious metalinguistic knowledge of it. As an example=
, at one point the CC says that students at grade eight should &quot;form a=
nd use verbs in the active and passive voice&quot; (I&#39;d want &quot;voic=
es&quot; there, but that&#39;s probably pushing things). Native English-spe=
akers without some kind of language impairment will form and use actives an=
d passives, of course -- just record them long enough and you&#39;ll get bo=
th. Read one way, a large set of these CC objectives basically boil down to=
, &quot;determine if any of your students are second language learners or h=
ave language impairments&quot;; read another, they&#39;re instead &quot;det=
ermine if your students have specific metalinguistic knowledge.&quot;</div>
t about which one of those readings is intended? If so, does anyone know wh=
ere it is? Apologies if I&#39;m asking something that&#39;s totally obvious=
. The course is one I haven&#39;t taught in a couple of years, and the swit=
ch to the CC in my state was in the early phases the last time around.</div=

ase visit the list&#39;s web interface at:</div><div>&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0<a hre=
f=3D"http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html">http://listserv.muohio.=
edu/archives/ateg.html</a></div>
 list, please visit the list&#39;s web interface at:</div>
 ATEG&#39;s web site at <a href=3D"http://ateg.org/">http://ateg.org/</a></=
div>
.616.6000</div>

Date:    Mon, 20 Aug 2012 16:49:21 -0500
From:    Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>

--_a12bdece-5e98-4816-aa49-a426b42e217d_

Herb=2C Ed=2C Bill and all you other ATEGers - So who's going to step up to=
 the plate to take a swing at that elusive curve ball - an essay for an aca=
demic journal (about 3=2C500 words)?

Geoff Layton
 > Date: Mon=2C 20 Aug 2012 19:43:34 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Quick Common Core question
> To: [log in to unmask]
>=20
> Herb=2C Ed=2C and Geoffrey:
>=20
> Thanks for the input =97 I was suspecting that many of the grammar-relate=
d standards were in roughly the same position as that of Schroedinger's cat=
=2C and this seems to be the case. I'd think that a journal piece would be =
useful=2C especially if it has any chance at all of spurring anyone in the =
CC initiative to make a statement one way or another. Of course=2C the inde=
terminacy itself may be some of the sugar helping the medicine go down.
>=20
> Sincerely=2C
>=20
> Bill S.
>=20
> From: Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]

> Date: Monday=2C August 20=2C 2012 12:29 PM
> To: ATEG English Grammar <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]
UOHIO.EDU>>
> Subject: Re: Quick Common Core question
>=20
> Can we get an article for the ATEG Journal out of this discussion?
>=20
> Geoff Layton
>=20
> > Date: Mon=2C 20 Aug 2012 16:26:34 +0000
> > From: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject: Re: Quick Common Core question
> > To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> >
> > Bill=2C
> > Thanks for asking this question. In addition to looking at the CC stand=
ards=2C I've looked at those of a few states=2C including sample exams. I c=
an find nothing that suggests specific metalinguistic knowledge. I remember=
 seeing somewhere that students should be able to identify verbs=2C but tha=
t statement itself is vague. Identifying finite verbs in simple sentences i=
s relatively easy=2C but identifying verbs in their own writing is another =
question. I'm hoping that you get more responses.
> > Ed V.

V.MUOHIO.EDU] On Behalf Of Spruiell=2C William C
> > Sent: Saturday=2C August 18=2C 2012 4:01 PM
> > To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject: Quick Common Core question
> >
> > Hi all --
> >
> > I'm lazily attempting to draw on ATEG's collective experience=2C largel=
y because I've discovered that educational bureaucracies inevitably think o=
f a different name to file something under than I do. I'm in the process of=
 making sure the English-ed grammar sections I'm about to teach address the=
 Common Core directly. The CC has a number of statements that are ambiguous=
 as to whether what's being asked for has to do with students simply "produ=
cing a construction"=2C or (instead) having conscious metalinguistic knowle=
dge of it. As an example=2C at one point the CC says that students at grade=
 eight should "form and use verbs in the active and passive voice" (I'd wan=
t "voices" there=2C but that's probably pushing things). Native English-spe=
akers without some kind of language impairment will form and use actives an=
d passives=2C of course -- just record them long enough and you'll get both=
. Read one way=2C a large set of these CC objectives basically boil down to=
=2C "determine if any of your students are second language learners or have=
 language impairments"=3B read another=2C they're instead "determine if you=
r students have specific metalinguistic knowledge."

> > Is there anything approaching an official statement about which one of =
those readings is intended? If so=2C does anyone know where it is? Apologie=
s if I'm asking something that's totally obvious. The course is one I haven=
't taught in a couple of years=2C and the switch to the CC in my state was =
in the early phases the last time around.

> > Sincerely=2C
> >
> > Bill Spruiell
> >
> > To join or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's web inte=
rface at:
> > http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
> > and select "Join or leave the list"
> >
> > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/
> >
> > To join or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's web inte=
rface at:
> > http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
> > and select "Join or leave the list"
> >
> > Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/
> To join or leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's web interf=
ace at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or l=
eave the list"
 		 	   		  =

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--_a12bdece-5e98-4816-aa49-a426b42e217d_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
Herb=2C Ed=2C Bill and all you other ATEGers -<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>So who's goin=
g to step up to the plate to take a swing at that elusive curve ball - an e=
20 Aug 2012 19:43:34 +0000<br>&gt=3B From: [log in to unmask]<br>&gt=3B Sub=
ject: Re: Quick Common Core question<br>&gt=3B To: [log in to unmask]
ks for the input =97 I was suspecting that many of the grammar-related stan=
dards were in roughly the same position as that of Schroedinger's cat=2C an=
d this seems to be the case. I'd think that a journal piece would be useful=
=2C especially if it has any chance at all of spurring anyone in the CC ini=
tiative to make a statement one way or another. Of course=2C the indetermin=
acy itself may be some of the sugar helping the medicine go down.<br>&gt=3B=
From: Geoffrey Layton &[log in to unmask]&lt=3Bmailto:writergwl@HOT=
MAIL.COM&gt=3B&gt=3B<br>&gt=3B Reply-To: ATEG English Grammar &lt=3BATEG@LI=
STSERV.MUOHIO.EDU&lt=3Bmailto:[log in to unmask]&gt=3B&gt=3B<br>&gt=
=3B Date: Monday=2C August 20=2C 2012 12:29 PM<br>&gt=3B To: ATEG English G=
rammar &[log in to unmask]&lt=3Bmailto:[log in to unmask]&=
gt=3B&gt=3B<br>&gt=3B Subject: Re: Quick Common Core question<br>&gt=3B <br=
>&gt=3B Can we get an article for the ATEG Journal out of this discussion?<=
20 Aug 2012 16:26:34 +0000<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B From: [log in to unmask]&lt=3Bmailt=
o:[log in to unmask]&gt=3B<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B Subject: Re: Quick Common Core ques=
tion<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B To: [log in to unmask]&lt=3Bmailto:ATEG@LISTSER=
=3B Thanks for asking this question. In addition to looking at the CC stand=
ards=2C I've looked at those of a few states=2C including sample exams. I c=
an find nothing that suggests specific metalinguistic knowledge. I remember=
 seeing somewhere that students should be able to identify verbs=2C but tha=
t statement itself is vague. Identifying finite verbs in simple sentences i=
s relatively easy=2C but identifying verbs in their own writing is another =
question. I'm hoping that you get more responses.<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B Ed V.<br=
 From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]
UOHIO.EDU] On Behalf Of Spruiell=2C William C<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B Sent: Saturd=
ay=2C August 18=2C 2012 4:01 PM<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B To: [log in to unmask]
DU&lt=3Bmailto:[log in to unmask]&gt=3B<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B Subject: Qui=
=3B &gt=3B<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B I'm lazily attempting to draw on ATEG's collect=
ive experience=2C largely because I've discovered that educational bureaucr=
acies inevitably think of a different name to file something under than I d=
o. I'm in the process of making sure the English-ed grammar sections I'm ab=
out to teach address the Common Core directly. The CC has a number of state=
ments that are ambiguous as to whether what's being asked for has to do wit=
h students simply "producing a construction"=2C or (instead) having conscio=
us metalinguistic knowledge of it. As an example=2C at one point the CC say=
s that students at grade eight should "form and use verbs in the active and=
 passive voice" (I'd want "voices" there=2C but that's probably pushing thi=
ngs). Native English-speakers without some kind of language impairment will=
 form and use actives and passives=2C of course -- just record them long en=
ough and you'll get both. Read one way=2C a large set of these CC objective=
s basically boil down to=2C "determine if any of your students are second l=
anguage learners or have language impairments"=3B read another=2C they're i=
nstead "determine if your students have specific metalinguistic knowledge."=
l statement about which one of those readings is intended? If so=2C does an=
yone know where it is? Apologies if I'm asking something that's totally obv=
ious. The course is one I haven't taught in a couple of years=2C and the sw=
itch to the CC in my state was in the early phases the last time around.<br=
=3B Bill Spruiell<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B To join or leave this L=
ISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's web interface at:<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B =
http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B and select "=
site at http://ateg.org/<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B To join or leave=
 this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's web interface at:<br>&gt=3B =
&gt=3B http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B and s=
elect "Join or leave the list"<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B<br>&gt=3B &gt=3B Visit ATEG=
's web site at http://ateg.org/<br>&gt=3B To join or leave this LISTSERV li=
st=2C please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/=
archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B=
 Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B To join or =
leave this LISTSERV list=2C please visit the list's web interface at:<br>&g=
t=3B      http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html<br>&gt=3B and selec=
t "Join or leave the list"<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Visit ATEG's web site at ht=
tp://ateg.org/<br></div>

Date:    Mon, 20 Aug 2012 18:11:15 -0400
From:    "MARLOW, DAVID" <[log in to unmask]>

--_000_994B1DDEC62548B490B02B9CFE9D2AF6uscupstateedu_
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--_000_994B1DDEC62548B490B02B9CFE9D2AF6uscupstateedu_
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[...]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Date:    Mon, 20 Aug 2012 22:19:46 +0000
From:    "Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>

--_000_D20F2B3DEFA4B943834522CB0F31DF6436774CF4BY2PRD0411MB415_

    At one point, I read many sets of state standards and found some consis=
tent patterns that the common core standards largely extend. For the most p=
art, grammar is thought of as a behavior. So it's not surprising that the f=
ocus would be on "demonstrating mastery" of standard English or punctuation=
, those elements that make writing most obviously different from everyday s=
peech.
  Since the sixties, there has been a concerted resistance to knowledge abo=
ut language, the major argument being that "formal grammar taught in isolat=
ion" doesn't improve writing. There is also a philosophical consensus, for =
better or worse, that language is acquired naturally and that we don't need=
 to teach a native speaker the grammar of their own language in order for t=
hat to happen. The attention is and has been on the differences between the=
 features of that spoken language and standard English and on the differenc=
es between the demands of language as speech and language as represented in=
 written form. The consensus for some time has been that this transition ca=
n be accomplished through response to actual writing and should be accompli=
shed with as little metalanguage as possible. The conversation has largely =
been around what it is "necessary" to know, with soft explanations acceptab=
le. If we respond to individual needs of classes or students and have behav=
ior (rather than knowledge) as a goal, then there is nothing to build on ye=
ar after year. We can test students on whether they can recognize "error," =
but can't test them on knowledge about language precisely because that know=
ledge has never been valued and has never been built in any kind of serious=
 or systematic way.
    I'm curious about what it means to vary syntax "for effect." Varied syn=
tax is essential to clarity, coherence, emphasis, and so on. Once again, th=
ough, it's couched in behavioral terms. students aren't being asked to reco=
gnize the ways in which meaning is built through syntactic choice.
    Recognition of register differences are also more social (and superfici=
al). Even dismissing all the elements of nonstandard language, language dif=
fers enormously for different kinds of text, most particularly within the t=
echnical disciplines. Most of the state standards I have looked at value "l=
iterary elements," but seem oblivious to the complex demands of technical a=
nd academic texts.

Craig

________________________________
U] on behalf of John Chorazy [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2012 3:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]

[...]

es) in general and their function in particular sentences and Use knowledge=

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Ed Vavra <[log in to unmask]<mailto:evavra@pc=
t.edu>> wrote:

> Bill,
> Thanks for asking this question. In addition to looking at the CC standar=
ds, I've looked at those of a few states, including sample exams. I can fin=
d nothing that suggests specific metalinguistic knowledge. I remember seein=
g somewhere that students should be able to identify verbs, but that statem=
ent itself is vague. Identifying finite verbs in simple sentences is relati=
vely easy, but identifying verbs in their own writing is another question. =
I'm hoping that you get more responses.
> Ed V.

MUOHIO.EDU<mailto:[log in to unmask]>] On Behalf Of Spruiell, William=
> Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2012 4:01 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Quick Common Core question
>
> Hi all --
>
> I'm lazily attempting to draw on ATEG's collective experience, largely be=
cause I've discovered that educational bureaucracies inevitably think of a =
different name to file something under than I do. I'm in the process of mak=
ing sure the English-ed grammar sections I'm about to teach address the Com=
mon Core directly. The CC has a number of statements that are ambiguous as =
to whether what's being asked for has to do with students simply "producing=
 a construction", or (instead) having conscious metalinguistic knowledge of=
 it. As an example, at one point the CC says that students at grade eight s=
hould "form and use verbs in the active and passive voice" (I'd want "voice=
s" there, but that's probably pushing things). Native English-speakers with=
out some kind of language impairment will form and use actives and passives=
, of course -- just record them long enough and you'll get both. Read one w=
ay, a large set of these CC objectives basically boil down to, "determine i=
f any of your students are second language learners or have language impair=
ments"; read another, they're instead "determine if your students have spec=
ific metalinguistic knowledge."

> Is there anything approaching an official statement about which one of th=
ose readings is intended? If so, does anyone know where it is? Apologies if=
 I'm asking something that's totally obvious. The course is one I haven't t=
aught in a couple of years, and the switch to the CC in my state was in the=
 early phases the last time around.

> Sincerely,
>
> Bill Spruiell
>
> To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interfac=
e at:
> and select "Join or leave the list"

> To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interfac=
e at:
> and select "Join or leave the list"

--
John Chorazy
English II and III, Academic and Honors
Advisor, Panther Press
Pequannock Township High School
973.616.6000

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface =
at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave=
 the list"

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--_000_D20F2B3DEFA4B943834522CB0F31DF6436774CF4BY2PRD0411MB415_

<head>
252">
</head>
10pt;">&nbsp; &nbsp; At one point, I read many sets of state standards and =
found some consistent patterns that the common core standards largely exten=
d. For the most part, grammar is thought of
 as a behavior. So it's not surprising that the focus would be on &quot;dem=
onstrating mastery&quot; of standard English or punctuation, those elements=
 that make writing most obviously different from everyday speech. &nbsp; &n=
bsp;
o knowledge about language, the major argument being that &quot;formal gram=
mar taught in isolation&quot; doesn't improve writing. There is also a phil=
osophical consensus, for better or worse, that language
 is acquired naturally and that we don't need to teach a native speaker the=
 grammar of their own language in order for that to happen. The attention i=
s and has been on the differences between the features of that spoken langu=
age and standard English and on
 the differences between the demands of language as speech and language as =
represented in written form. The consensus for some time has been that this=
 transition can be accomplished through response to actual writing and shou=
ld be accomplished with as little
 metalanguage as possible. The conversation has largely been around what it=
 is &quot;necessary&quot; to know, with soft explanations acceptable. If we=
 respond to individual needs of classes or students and have behavior (rath=
er than knowledge) as a goal, then there is
 nothing to build on year after year. We can test students on whether they =
can recognize &quot;error,&quot; but can't test them on knowledge about lan=
guage precisely because that knowledge has never been valued and has never =
been built in any kind of serious or systematic
 way.</div>
 effect.&quot; Varied syntax is essential to clarity, coherence, emphasis, =
and so on. Once again, though, it's couched in behavioral terms. students a=
ren't being asked to recognize the ways in which meaning
 is built through syntactic choice.</div>
 (and superficial). Even dismissing all the elements of nonstandard languag=
e, language differs enormously for different kinds of text, most particular=
ly within the technical disciplines. Most
 of the state standards I have looked at value &quot;literary elements,&quo=
t; but seem oblivious to the complex demands of technical and academic text=
s.</div>
">
<hr tabindex=3D"-1">
ize=3D"2" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Assembly for the Teaching of Engli=
sh Grammar [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of John Chorazy [john.chora=
[log in to unmask]]<br>
ations):</div>
mar and usage when writing or speaking</em> (I'd agree there is no specific=
 demand here for a language set that describes the conventions, but there i=
s broad room for introducing it
 and for students to employ it in order to fulfill the requirements of an E=
LA course. The Standards aren't the end or the all of the curriculum, they'=
re a framework for &quot;college readiness&quot;... though maybe that's ano=
ther discussion in itself...).</div>
an change over time, and is sometimes contested</em> (How does one apply th=
is understanding without a common language set to engage in a productive co=
nversation? I think there's plenty
 of room for the classroom teacher here, necessarily).</div>
nces (e.g.Merriam- Webster=92s Dictionary of English Usage, Garner=92s Mode=
rn American Usage) as needed</em> (Same as above, I'd say. Complex issues d=
emand a complex jargon).</div>
s in different contexts, to make effective choices for meaning or style, an=
d to comprehend more fully when reading or listening</em> (This is clearly =
metaknowledge, though I still agree
 with Ed that nothing is demanded in specific terms.).</div>
Artful Sentences) for guidance as needed; apply an understanding of syntax =
to the study of complex texts when reading</em> (When students are asked to=
 apply or demonstrate knowledge, it's
 going to be up to the classroom teacher to determine how that's satisfied.=
 But the suggestion of a guiding text (Tufte or any other) is a nod toward =
the need for complex and expert information to resolve complex issues).</di=
v>
to use correlative conjunctions, explain the functions of conjunctions and =
prepositions, and form and use various verb tenses; by grade 8, students sh=
ould be able to
<em>Explain the function of verbals (gerunds, participles, infinitives) in =
general and their function in particular sentences</em> and
<em>Use knowledge of language and its conventions when writing, speaking, r=
eading, or listening</em>. None of that is done without metacognition and a=
pplication of at least a few terms regarding grammar - though I'm aware tha=
t the slant is pitched away from
 using such terms because their practicality is questioned.</div>
ly; the Consortia who are determining the high stakes assessments for the S=
tandards are the ones who'll have the final interpretation. My sense is tha=
t there won't be any questions &quot;about&quot;
 grammar in sight... but embedded within the questions and readings will be=
 a need for a rich understanding of the complexities of language, especiall=
y by 11-12th grades.</div>
[log in to unmask]" target=3D"_blank">[log in to unmask]</a>&gt; wrote:</div>
 standards, I've looked at those of a few states, including sample exams. I=
 can find nothing that suggests specific metalinguistic knowledge. I rememb=
er seeing somewhere that students should
 be able to identify verbs, but that statement itself is vague. Identifying=
 finite verbs in simple sentences is relatively easy, but identifying verbs=
 in their own writing is another question. I'm hoping that you get more res=
ponses.</div>
f=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]" target=3D"_blank">[log in to unmask]
O.EDU</a>] On Behalf Of Spruiell, William C</div>
>[log in to unmask]</a></div>
rgely because I've discovered that educational bureaucracies inevitably thi=
nk of a different name to file something under than I do. I'm in the proces=
s of making sure the English-ed grammar
 sections I'm about to teach address the Common Core directly. The CC has a=
 number of statements that are ambiguous as to whether what's being asked f=
or has to do with students simply &quot;producing a construction&quot;, or =
(instead) having conscious metalinguistic
 knowledge of it. As an example, at one point the CC says that students at =
grade eight should &quot;form and use verbs in the active and passive voice=
&quot; (I'd want &quot;voices&quot; there, but that's probably pushing thin=
gs). Native English-speakers without some kind of language
 impairment will form and use actives and passives, of course -- just recor=
d them long enough and you'll get both. Read one way, a large set of these =
CC objectives basically boil down to, &quot;determine if any of your studen=
ts are second language learners or have
 language impairments&quot;; read another, they're instead &quot;determine =
if your students have specific metalinguistic knowledge.&quot;</div>
ne of those readings is intended? If so, does anyone know where it is? Apol=
ogies if I'm asking something that's totally obvious. The course is one I h=
aven't taught in a couple of years,
 and the switch to the CC in my state was in the early phases the last time=
 around.</div>
interface at:</div>
s/ateg.html" target=3D"_blank">http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.htm=
l</a></div>
blank">http://ateg.org/</a></div>
interface at:</div>
s/ateg.html" target=3D"_blank">http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.htm=
l</a></div>
blank">http://ateg.org/</a></div>
To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface =
at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select &quot;Join or =
leave the list&quot;

Date:    Mon, 20 Aug 2012 18:26:20 -0500
From:    Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>

--_1f677562-dcaa-4595-aa16-19b08a9f5b3b_

David -  You're in luck! How does the end of the fall semester look to you =
- say mid-December?

Geoff Layton
 Date: Mon=2C 20 Aug 2012 18:11:15 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

I might be willing... When do you need it?
< If you are out there saying=2C "oh=2C why didn't I speak sooner?!?"=2C sp=
eak now... I'm interested in this=2C but have other irons in the fire as we=
ll=2C so I'd happily step aside for another volunteer... >

Best=2C
< Written using speech recognition software &/or an iPad keyboard by my fat=
 fingers... Please forgive spelling and punctuation errors >
On Aug 20=2C 2012=2C at 5:50 PM=2C "Geoffrey Layton" <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

Herb=2C Ed=2C Bill and all you other ATEGers -
=20
So who's going to step up to the plate to take a swing at that elusive curv=
e ball - an essay for an academic journal (about 3=2C500 words)?

Geoff Layton
=20
> Date: Mon=2C 20 Aug 2012 19:43:34 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Quick Common Core question
> To: [log in to unmask]
>=20
> Herb=2C Ed=2C and Geoffrey:
>=20
> Thanks for the input =97 I was suspecting that many of the grammar-relate=
d standards were in roughly the same position as that of Schroedinger's cat=
=2C and this seems to be the case. I'd think that a journal piece would be =
useful=2C especially if it has any chance at all of spurring anyone in the =
CC initiative to make a statement one way or another. Of course=2C the inde=
terminacy itself may be some of the sugar helping the medicine go down.
>=20
> Sincerely=2C
>=20
> Bill S.
>=20
> From: Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]

> Date: Monday=2C August 20=2C 2012 12:29 PM
> To: ATEG English Grammar <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]
UOHIO.EDU>>
> Subject: Re: Quick Common Core question
>=20
> Can we get an article for the ATEG Journal out of this discussion?
>=20
> Geoff Layton
>=20
> > Date: Mon=2C 20 Aug 2012 16:26:34 +0000
> > From: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject: Re: Quick Common Core question
> > To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> >
> > Bill=2C
> > Thanks for asking this question. In addition to looking at the CC stand=
ards=2C I've looked at those of a few states=2C including sample exams. I c=
an find nothing that suggests specific metalinguistic knowledge. I remember=
 seeing somewhere that students should be able to identify verbs=2C but tha=
t statement itself is vague. Identifying finite verbs in simple sentences i=
s relatively easy=2C but identifying verbs in their own writing is another =
question. I'm hoping that you get more responses.
> > Ed V.

David - <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>You're in luck! How does the end of the fall semest=
20 Aug 2012 18:11:15 -0400<br>From: [log in to unmask]<br>Subject: Re: =
ou are out there saying=2C "oh=2C why didn't I speak sooner?!?"=2C speak no=
w... I'm interested in this=2C but have other irons in the fire as well=2C =
so I'd happily step aside for another volunteer... &gt=3B<br><br>Best=2C<di=
p=3Brecognition software &amp=3B/or an iPad keyboard by my fat fingers... P=
lease forgive spelling and punctuation&nbsp=3Berrors &gt=3B</div></div><div=
mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a>&gt=3B wrote:<br><br=

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P
{padding:0px=3B}
.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage
{font-size:10pt=3Bfont-family:Tahoma=3B}

--></style>
=2C 20 Aug 2012 19:43:34 +0000<br>&gt=3B From: <a href=3D"mailto:sprui1wc@C=
To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

End of ATEG Digest - 18 Aug 2012 to 20 Aug 2012 (#2012-74)