ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
Susan van Druten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 2009 18:40:31 -0500
Thanks, Brian, for some insight.  Maybe I need to be more clear about
how much (how little) I ask students to vary their sentence starts.
Usually, it occurs when I walk around the room as they are writing.
I'll read over a shoulder and notice lots of similar sentence starts
(which are not interesting parallel structure).  I'll mention it to
them and they'll read it it back and notice how it sounds to them.
They don't want to sound "head-thumpingly boring to read."  So they
get it, and they change it on their own, or they'll ask for advice.

"Head-thumpingly boring" essays are short-term problems?

Really??!  Really.  Really??!

Bad writing is a long-term problem, period.  Bad essays are problems
for a high school teacher who has to read 150.  They are problems for
a college instructor who doesn't have to read 150.  The amount one
must read is irrelevant.  There should be no difference of opinion
between high school or college instructor:  if an essay is boring to
a high school teacher, it should be boring to a college instructor.
The boring might come from uninspired sentence starts or from chaotic
coherence problems.  It doesn't matter what the problem is.  We can
all spot the problem and help our students with whatever is causing it.

This argument has now shifted to a fallacious either-or. It is simply
not true that we must pit sentence start variation against
coherence.  Both are important.

Class size is irrelevant.  An exposure to more writing does not make
one unable to distinguish easier reading from head-thumping reading.
The goal is that our students produce easy to read and pleasurable,
informative reading.

> Brian asks about my student's revision,  "I'm curious; how might
> the passage's author respond to this kind of advice [show me how
> each sentence connects]?"

Brian, that is good advice which often includes considering varying
sentence starts.  So I do have an answer of sorts.  It's inconclusive
(it is very hard to get students to revise).  But here is her revision:

Landon is comparing Jamie’s weight to leaves falling.  She has become
so sick that she has lost a lot of weight, and he has really started
to notice it.  He had to support her as they stood there because she
could barely hold herself up.  He is not only realizing just her
change in weight, but it really hits him at this point how much her
leukemia has taken over her whole body and in such a short period of
time.  He realizes that she doesn’t have that much longer.

I have better writers than this.  But it's all about taking a writer
from where she is at and suggesting ideas that her writing shows she
has not been considering.

Susan