ATEG Archives

April 2008

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:30:59 +0100
>Even other determiners would need pragmatic disambiguation to go through:

I drank from Craig's cup and the baby from hers.

[If the baby were a girl and no other girls were present, okay.  If other
girls or women were present, context would have to disambiguate --]
assisted by pointing perhaps.]

I drank from Craig's cup and the baby from his.

[If the baby were a boy and the context made it plain that you were
referring to the baby -- e.g. by pointing -- okay.  If other males were
present as well as Craig, again context would have to be brought in to avoid
ambiguity.]

'Yours' (singular) is safe:  you are not Craig.   'Ours', 'theirs' and
plural 'yours' are unlikely because multiple ownership of cups is unlikely!

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court
Trafalgar Road
Cambridge
CB4 1DU
England

Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/elw33/
Phone [00 44] (0)1223 350256

 Notice that in the list that Craig made the word "its" is missing.  This