ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
omarjohns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:52:56 +0300
WvB> Sircam virus! Don't open the attachment but delete it. If you need a
WvB> programme to check or disinfect your machine, go to: www.symantec.com

WvB> Willem van Bork

I have given up on virus check/disinfect software. These always
interfere somehow with the way my machine works, they are expensive,
and their purchase turns into a rental arrangement after six months
once the manufacturer begins to extort a yearly fee for virus
definition updates. Virus paranoia is certainly big business for some.

I am using a small program called zonealarm from www.zonelabs.com
Zonealarm is free for home use, fully enabled, and nagless. It is not
an anti-virus utility but rather a firewall. It includes a feature
called mailsafe that examines incoming email attachments, renames
those with the extensions .exe .vbs and .com, then "quarantines" them.
You then have several options of what to do with them, and they would be
difficult to open by accident.

I highly recommend using zonealarm. Firewalls prevent outsiders from
accessing your on-line machine and using it for a variety of nefarious
ends.

Yesterday I received three virus bearing attachments from two
different lists. It is a normal week. Zonealarm kept them securely
muzzled until I got around to deleting them.

The only virus infection I have ever had was a word macro virus and
these will not be caught by zonealarm. You can protect yourself from
them by turning off one of MS Word's "features".

--
Best regards,
 Omar                            mailto:[log in to unmask]