ATEG Archives

November 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:13:13 -0500
Bob,
  The sentence is from an article in "Teaching English in the Two year
College", from an issue I just picked up at NCTE conference. I randomly
opened it to a page and picked a sentence.  I thought it would help to
find a topic we are somewhat familiar with.>
  I thought it was hard to follow, even in context, and I would certainly
tell that to the writer if I were working with the writer on a draft.
   If you put the actors into the normal actor slots, it's certainly
easier. "Teachers should give contrary views, and they should argue for
alternative sides with equal passion. This will help students go from
class discussion to a written response without feeling that a "correct"
view is called for."
   For ease in comparison, this is a rewrite of "Another reason that
students' critical thinking might be unwittingly limited through oral
discussion without written translation might be the passion and
eloquence with which the instructor's theoretical position is
communicated."
   In order to rewrite like this, though, you have to guess a bit. I may
be misrepresenting the writers' views. I would want to let the writer
know that the meaning is not clear, at least to me.
   Heavily nominalized structures are certainly late in developing, but
that doesn't mean they are always better. Sometimes they seem to get in
the way of the meaning.

Craig

Without concrete examples, it is sometimes very difficult to understand