ATEG Archives

March 2005

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:18:17 -0800
The summary of this article suggests you might get your answer here,
although I haven't had time to read it myself:

Ineke Sluiter, "Seven Grammarians on the 'ablativus absolutus'"
in _Historiographia Linguistica_ 27:2/3. 2000. (pp. 379–414)

Summary

In this article, the history of the so-called ablative absolute as a
descriptive category is traced from the 3rd to the 20th century. Texts
by Sacerdos, Diomedes, Priscian, Alberic of Montecassino, Kühner &
Stegmann and Harm Pinkster illustrate how the ablative absolute is
recognized long before it get its name, and how its role in grammatical
description is invented, changes, and disappears again in accordance
with the grammatical systems adopted by the respective grammarians. The
ablative absolute starts as a kind of appendix to the doctrine of the
parts of speech, is moved from the description of the noun to that of
the participle, and eventually just fades away as a descriptive label in
its own right in the context of Functional Grammar. Its history cannot,
of course, prove that the ‘God’s Truth’ metaphysics of grammar is wrong,
but it certainly looks like a series of manifestations of grammatical
‘Hocus Pocus’.

Karl Hagen
Department of English
Mount St. Mary's College