ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
Nancy Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 19:23:56 -0400
I'm going to disagree with the "joyful" interpretation of the man's
statement.  I think this is simply the stripped down language of a tired 68
year old man (and Snyder).  The man could have grinned.  He could have
laughed.  But he didn't.  He simply said he had been bucking hay most of his
adult life.  Snyder doesn't talk about how lovely the hay chaff looked as it
drifted through the shafts of light.  He talks about how it itched under
sweaty shirts.  There aren't many people who enjoy "haying" as it's called
in mid-Michigan.  It's sweaty.  It's itchy.  And it's plain hard work. I
teach in a rural community and even with modern machinery, baling hay is not
a job people look forward to.  As a "non-hayer" I can tell it smells good
when there haying going on.  But I've never been haying and I don't intend
to start.  I don't think we should make hay bucking into some romantic
endeavor.  And it's not really like Snyder to romanticize something like
this, as I recall.

And, yes, feel free to use anything in the powerpoint presentation.  That's
why I uploaded it--to share.
Nancy

At 04:52 PM 7/4/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Helene,
>    Thank you.  Feel free to use my comments.  As for Paul's point about
>the positive, almost joyful tone underlying the final comments, I think
>the grammatical aspects may well play a part.  All his statements are
>active and, except for "hate," the verbs are quite positive and dynamic:
>bucked, thought, started, gone and done.  "I" is the subject of all the
>clauses.  None of the sentence subjects are outside forces that are to
>blame for ruining his life; he seems to accept the responsibility for
>the way the years have gone.
>
>Brock

Nancy G. Patterson
Portland Middle School, English Dept. Chair
Portland, MI  48875

"To educate as the practice of freedom is a way of teaching that anyone can
learn."

--bell hooks

http://www.msu.edu/user/patter90/opening.htm
http://www.npatterson.net/mid.html