ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 May 2009 23:35:54 -0400
There are clearly errors which are appropriate to this technique.  All of this started because I objected to one decontextualized sentence on an SAT.  Susan and I do not agree on this sentence, but I maintain that if standardized test developers are going to use this technique they should at least make sure their test items are not context dependent as this one is.  It was a bad test item.  The technique itself can be useful, but the example in question demonstrates the kind of problems that can arise.  There are whole classes of problem for which the technique works.

Herb