ATEG Archives

December 1997

From:
Jim Dubinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 18:57:53 -0500
This  message was  originally submitted  by Edith Wollin
([log in to unmask])  to the
ATEG list at MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU. in response to a message  was
originally submitted  by
> [log in to unmask] to the ATEG (added below her
posting).

ON the contrary, I teach a grammar course that does teach better writing
at the same time.  My colleague and I have done some research that shows
that it works. It is based on sentence combining using syntactic
structures and the theory behind it is one that Martha shares--tech the
rehtoric of grammar.

originally submitted  by [log in to unmask] to the ATEG

> To 'grammar' or not to 'grammar'?
>
> Why, both, of course. Just not at the same time.
>
> What is necessary is to distinguish between teaching language use
(writing,
> reading, etc.) and teaching about language (which is linguistics).
>
> When teaching writing, reading etc., writing, reading must be taught.
When