ATEG Archives

November 1995

From:
Reinhold Schlieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 09:40:38 -0500
> there will be a lot of variation in perception of emphasis,
> though; some will say we build up to the important point, while
> others will say we start off with it.  Perhaps individual cases
> will vary.  If that's true, then we can't say "usually" anything.

Hi Michael.

I think that from the word to the sentence to the paragraph and to maybe
larger elements, initial and final elements are highlighted.  Elements
that seem clearly not highlighted are elements that are embedded
medially.  In fact, one would tend to think of them as parenthetical,
thus de-emphasized elements, IMHO.

==Cheerio, Reinhold
                         Dr. Reinhold Schlieper
Humanities Department                              500 Shadow Lakes Boulevard
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University                            Apartment 139
Daytona Beach FL  32114                                Ormond Beach FL  32174
Phone: 904-226-6664                                       Phone: 904-676-9392