ATEG Archives

February 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:21:48 -0500
Ed,
    My students seem to like grammar when I teach it, but I suspect you
and I have a wacky passion that they find amusing, even mildly or not
so mildly contagious.
   You are enormously consistent in the kinds of choices you make. I find
your position very clear and thoughtful. I agree; the ellipsis is
potentially there all the time, and this is a good occassion to bring
it into play. It makes sense to try to extend the rule. My own choice
would be to foreground the functional use of "for", which is also
consistent with other choices.

Craig >

Craig,