ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:12:13 -0500
Dick,
   My idea of a phrase is a group of one or more words functioning as a
group (below the level of clause), so single word phrases are no
problem. That, of course, is pretty standard. And they are
characterized by their heads, but sometimes hard to pin down when the
head is all the evidence we have. The question might be whether these
can be expanded as noun phrases, and that's a little harder, but not
impossible.  "All our tomorrows". "All our todays." "All our yesterdays
have lighted fools the way to dusty death (from Macbeth)." "Now" is
more problematic. Bruce's examples work for me--"Now is the time for
all good men..." How about "This now is better than that one?" It's a
stretch. I think "now" would be more typically an adverb, and it might
be a stretch to call it a noun in your example. "Now he leaps." "Now he
falls". "Then he leaps". "Then he falls." "He now enters". *"He today
enters". I think they act differently, that "today" is more noun than
"now" is, which is why it feels so awkward in a typical adverb slot.
   That would be a structural grammar answer, I suppose. I'm still
wrestling with Langacker's notion that we can come up with a semantic
definition for noun. The most prototypical members of the category
would be proper nouns and all those "bounded entities" we meet in the
physical world. But other more abstract entities are somehow granted
the status of thing by having noun status. "Today" and "yesterday" are
more bounded than "now" is. "Now" might be the polar opposite of
"forever", which can also be both noun and adverb. They both seem
unbounded by definition, not so much a period as less than period or
beyond all periods. So it would make sense that they are special.
   Does that match your thinking?

Craig

 Craig,