ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:26:51 -0400
   The verb "mean" can refer to two different poles, the sender of a
message and  the interpreter, and  I think the present perfect is
fairly natural for the interpreter, especially when it shades into a
sense of value. (Less message, more existence. We interpret waht we
experience as well.)
   "Your support has meant a great deal to me."
      As John says, this is a past truth continuing into present time.
   Verbs are wonderful. Very tricky, but very rich.

Craig

Hi, Dalia.