ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:17:46 -0400
Dick,

That's one of the more thoughtful critiques I've read of diagramming
systems.  You're unquestionably right that diagramming can't be an end
in itself and that there are features of phrase structure trees that are
also useful.  The deep/surface distinction is not really much of a part
of contemporary syntactic theory, but certainly the PS tree does a much
clearer and more complete job of representing constituent structure and
grammatical category.  I have not found it worthwhile doing a lot of
tree drawing, though.  Both RK and PS diagrams require a fair bit of
teaching overhead, which has led me away from using such systems in the
classroom.  While RK diagrams convey more functional information than
PS, that information is both limited and faulty because the system was
designed long before we had a clear understanding of the different
properties of functional and syntactic analysis.  I've found it more
efficient to use measures like pronoun replacement to demonstrate
constituency, but that may be a result of the fact that my
undergraduates have only very limited experience with any sort of
grammar.  If we had a rigorous grammar program in K12, then perhaps a
formal representational system might make more sense, since students
could learn parts of it progressively.  But that's part of the Scope and
Sequence project, and I'm not sure that they're going in the direction
of formal systems.

Herb