ATEG Archives

December 2010

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2010 16:57:11 -0500
TJ:

Sorry for the slow reply here; I avoided work email over the holidays. I'd certainly call the question use a main-clause example; I committed the old grammarian's sin of focusing on declaratives as the center of the linguistic universe.  "Did he ever think of the answer" strikes me as raising more doubts about the person's success than does "Did he think of the answer," so I could at least argue the 'ever' is still adding an irrealis note (although that may be simply a result of the duration element 'ever' also adds).

--- Bill Spruiell