ATEG Archives

January 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:11:37 -0500
I don't have a whole lot to add to what Bill described, aside from envying him his 100-level linguistics class.  I do find that students respond well to morphological trees and catch on to the pretty quickly.  I also spend time on derivational vs. inflectional morphology so they can learn the difference between creating new words and modifying words to fit grammatical context.

In response to Cynthia's comment, I wish that some phonetics could be taught as part of language arts in upper elementary and middle school, at least so that kids know that p, b, m, f, and v all have common articulatory features.  Then Cynthia would be able to explain that im/in/il/ir are not different prefixes but simply the same prefix before different classes of sound.  But that's a bit of a fond wish.

Herb

Even as a h.s. teacher, I teach most of the word-formation processes you list, if not in real depth at least in mini-lessons.  H.S. students are fascinated by word origin--at least mine are.  We very often come across some inexplicable word that I have to hope the ATEG site will address!

  I also inevitably cover morphology (at least I think that's what it is) when I teach similar prefixes (im-/in, e.g.)

  BTW, I enjoy this site!

"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

    v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Bruce,

  I cover basically the same list in my freshman "linguistic-y" class, with one addition - what I call "pure neologism," introduced to deal with cases where a speaker literally makes up a word from scratch. That's very rare, of course, but does occur in children's literature and science fiction/ fantasy literature (e.g. Heinlein's introduction of the verb grok). I don't, however, insist that they know the technical definitions by heart. Instead, I lump them into superordinate categories that are fairly basic:

  (1)     Combining parts whose meanings you already know (prefixing, suffixing, and compounding).
  (2)     Shortening words or phrases you already know (clipping, acronyms, backformation)
  (3)     Using something you already know for a new purpose (conversion, eponymy, onomatopoeia)
  (4)     Making up something new (pure neologism)

  Blending I treat as a combination of 1 and 2. It's a 100-level college course, for students who have never had any exposure to linguistics, and I find that using this approach helps them focus on what's going on rather than on the potentially intimidating terminology. In our 300-level Intro to linguistics, I go into more detail (e.g., they're supposed to come out of it being able to explain why clipping and backformation are considered different processes).

  Bill Spruiell
  Dept. of English
  Central Michigan University