ATEG Archives

September 2001

From:
Gretchen Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 02:10:51 EDT
In a message dated 9/18/2001 9:09:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< According to an old Afghani friend of mine, it's Afghani.  And it's Saudi.
 Or did I miss the tongue in cheek? >>

Herb,
No, the inquiry is in earnest.  I have mostly heard Saudi, but Reinhold is
very knowledgeable about Islam and Islamic cultures. We have had several
conversations about it.  I was just checking because he used "Sauds," and I
was curious if it was a typo or if I were misinformed.

Afghani/Afghan seem to be interchangeable, and I think that Afghani is more
correct.  However, I heard several reports today about "Afghan rebels," and I
would hate to offend anyone these days if that is the accepted usage.

As I said, I am overloaded with all I am trying to absorb, and I was looking
for advice.  Thanks!

Gretchen in San Jose