ATEG Archives

October 2012

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:44:50 +0000
On the "meaning" issue: Do manipulations of the extent to which a point is presented as "in play," or manipulations of the extent to which a point is foregrounded or backgrounded, count as manipulations of meaning?  I can think of ways in which 'although' is quite different from 'but' or 'however', but the easiest ones to get to have to do with how the choice of one of those or another affects information flow (as per one of Craig's earlier posts). The fact that an although-clause can come first allows it to be used as a set-up, for example, in ways that 'but' or 'however' can't.  I would count that as meaning, but I know that's a position that not everyone shares (to put it mildly).

If you agree that that is meaning, then you're still left with the question of how important this kind of meaning is, in the context of what we're trying to teach (it could be meaning, but fairly far down the list of things that need to be considered, or it could be at the top). If it's not meaning, though, it's still… something. And it's arguably a something that we may need to consider. If we say it's not meaning, it's "zorb" (or whatever), we still end up needing to ask how important zorb is. If writing that uses both 'but' and 'although' fluently is socially assigned a higher value than writing that only uses 'but', that point has implications regardless of the category names we assign. The question of whether the although/however distinction is one of meaning doesn't necessarily have any implications for whether we need to talk about it, nor does it necessarily affect whether students' not being able to use it (if in fact they are so unable) constitutes a problem. It's more a definitional issue than anything else, although I can certainly empathize with anyone reacting negatively to what seems to them to be a definitional end-run.

In one of those small-world phenomena, Stanley Fish just spoke at my institution, although he managed to do so during a section of grammar that I'm teaching and that I couldn't let go to the presentation (we were videotaping student presentations, so not very re-schedulable). From all accounts, he got lively audience participation from one of his "sentence form" exercises using an 'Even though X, Y' pattern. Of course, I'm not sure how much of that was his ability to do the "I'm Stanley Fish, and you had better want to cooperate!" routine. I can't figure out how to pull that trick off.

--- Bill Spruiell

From: <Hancock>, Craig G <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:23 PM
To: ATEG English Grammar <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: The Atlantic Writing Articles

Bob,
    What the article points out is that a program which specifically gives students practice in the production of language forms makes them much better writers, even when measured by outsiders, as in Regents exams, which are graded by the state.  Perhaps there are better ways to do it. We are a list dedicated to promoting more attention to grammar. This is a program that shows a direct relationship between explicit language instruction and writing improvement. They don’t have a control group, but they have much better outcomes with this approach than with previous approaches. Geoff asked for reaction to the article, and I gave it high praise in part because it reinforces the value of direct grammar instruction. I hope other people on the list take the time to look at this for themselves.

Craig