ATEG Archives

December 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:19:00 -0500
Herb,
    It looks like I mistyped at the start of my post. I meant to say "I
don't think people would normally say "the two last people on earth."
The normal (or default) would be "the last two people on earth."
    That's not to say your point isn't well made. We need to be careful
about "normal." And "the two last people on earth is certainly
possible," which means it can act as an adjective. On the other hand,
frequency is a very important part of meaning, and it does create a
great deal of stability in the system. I don't think of these as
"rules" so much because, as you say, we have a great deal of
flexibility. But I would stand by my analysis of "the last grill brush
you will ever need" as using "last" as an ordinal numeral. If it was
simply "the latest" grill brush, the whole force of the ad would
collapse. They are advertising durability and satisfaction. They want,
I think, to imply that you will never need or want another one,
however hyperbolic that might be.
    There may not be a normal in intonation, but there are stable
relations between meaning and form. I can intone a statement as a
question by a rise in pitch. We can signal a word group as restrictive
or non-restrictive through intonation. In general, given is not
intonationally stressed, but new information is given tonic
prominence.
    One of my favorite old words is "quick", which once meant "living" if
my memory is correct. And "kind," which was once closer to "natural."
We do have those remnants: "the quick and the dead"; "in kind." I
agree that "last" has some of its history intact.

Craig
 Craig,

> As you're aware from both your functional and your cognitive work, what we
> would normally say depends entirely on situation.  It wouldn't be hard to
> come up with a suitable context, say, a murder investigation trying to
> narrow down who saw the victim last.  I'm not sure there is a "normal" in
> sentence structure, at least not in the sense I think you're using the
> term.  As Susan Schmerling put it a long time ago in her dissertation on
> intonation, "There is no normal sentence intonation."  ToBI analyses of
> English intonation bear that out.
>
> "Last," of course, behaves both as an ordinal and as a superlative, not
> surprising given its origin as a superlative and subsequent
> grammaticalization and reduction followed by the later development of the
> doublet "latest."  Words carry their history with them and not
> infrequently upset our analyses because of it.  Think of
> /cleave/clove/cloven/cleft/cleaved and all the specializations there
> arising from an OE strong verb and an OE weak verb.  The two verbs are
> identical now, but they've left the lexicon littered with their castoffs.
>
> Herb

>>> reference.  The other might well reference a brush that has yet to be